The Fourth of July in 1915 is depicted in this photo that was owned by Dennis Moberg of Gladstone. The scene is looking east down Delta Ave. The building on the right was a clothing store at the time and was later the site of 1st National Bank.
The Escanaba City Band has marched in the Gladstone Fourth of July Parade for decades. This group of musicians took part in the city’s Golden Jubilee celebration in 1937. Some of the musicians in the front of the photo have been identified by band member, Paul Simpson of Gladstone, as, from left, Roy Linau, Paul Simpson, Ray Richards, Chet Isaackson, and Paul Ettenhoffer. In back of Richards is Cliff LeDuc. Jack Raymond is behind Simpson and Art Olson is behind Linau.
The 1912 Firemen’s Tournament at Gladstone utilized a trick picture made to give the idea that the people were taking a balloon trip. The picture includes a man by the name of Cotter who worked at the Marble Axe Factory, as well as Irene (Stolpe) Peterson, mother of Norman Peterson, and Mrs. Bill Mottle and daughter, Helen. The building below is the old Gladstone City Hall and fire hall building which was located on the south side of Minnesota Ave. between Ninth and Tenth Streets.
“Let the Eagle Scream” was the slogan heading large posters in Gladstone in the olden days announcing the Fourth of July celebration, according to the late George T. Springer. Springer said, “There was a grand salute at sunrise. A patriotic address was given from the band stand located on the corner of 10th Street and Delta Ave. An extensive program was carried out throughout the day and was concluded by a grand ball at the opera house. Local merchants and industries had floats in the parade.” This Soo Line float was in the celebration on July 4, 1897. The man with the sprinkler in hand is Theodore D. “Jerry” Springer, pioneer locomotive engineer, who piloted the first passenger train out of Gladstone in 1887. In the cab is John Bradley, who was a Gladstone hardware store owner. The two men in the caboose are unidentified.
Photo Courtesy of Frank Rodman
The Austrian-Croatians, members of Holy Cross Lodge 259 of the Croatian Fraternal Union, marched in the Fourth of July parade in Hermansville in 1926. The Croatians were the largest ethnic group in Hermansville.
A fast action scene in one of the early 1940’s National Birling Association Roleo in the Gladstone Harbor. Log birling was a part of the Gladstone Fourth of July festivities for many years.