Gene Watson Gallery
The Maplewood School picnic at the end of the school year in 1909 was the occasion for this photograph of the entire enrollment. Seated in the wicker rocker at left is Grandma Fuhriman, whose son, George Fuhriman, gave the piece of property for the school. The teacher, pictured at right, was Minnie Larson from Danforth. She was identified by Elsie (Mosier) Martin, who is pictured in the photo along with her mother, Louise Mosier, Edna Snell and Elsie (Mosier) Martin. The school was closed in the early 1930s with all the children being bussed to Rapid River school, except the Mosier children who, because of where they lived, had to go to Perkins. The windows showing were in the cloakrooms.
Anyone with an interesting old photograph of local interest may submit it for publication. Although care will be taken with the historical item, the newspaper cannot guarantee its safety or return. It is recommended that a commercial copy of the print be made (not a photocopy). Send or drop off photos, including all information about them, to Daily Press Lifestyles Department, "Remember When?" 600 Ludington St. Escanaba, MI 49829.